It is not easy to make your parents more open-minded and understanding. This is because they are raised with a certain set of values and beliefs that are different from yours. But, you can still get them to understand your point of view, by being compassionate and by calmly discussing with them.
Here are few steps, you can follow, if you have something that matters a lot to you, and that you want to ask from your parents. With some efforts, conversation and good communication you may be able to soften their hearts and make them more open-minded.
Sometimes, parents can be strict and a bit too harsh on us. This can be especially true for parents of children who are very different from them. In this article, we will explore how to make your strict parents softer and more open-minded.
Steps to soften your strict parents:
There are a lot of things that you can do to make your parents more open-minded. You just have to find the right approach and the right way to approach them so they would change their minds about what they believe in.
1- Get them to take you seriously, first:
First, you have to make them understand that you’re old enough to be taken seriously by them. You have to get them to give you their attention and understand what you want to talk with them about, before quickly saying “no”, being stubborn or just considering you an immature child.
2- Let them think about it:
You need to be honest with them about how you feel, what you want and how much it means to you. If they do not respond well, then you need to try again later after they have had time to think about it.
You can also try taking out time for yourself in order to relax and let things simmer down before talking with them again.
3- Show compassion:
Another tip is to learn more about their culture, fears and beliefs so that you can show that you understand where they are coming from better.
If they see that you respect their thinking and agree with it to some extent, it will make them feel more comfortable around you. Try to let them know that they don’t have to worry about anything and that you understand your ideas but have a different suggestion or alternative still. This way they can trust you in picking the friends you have or activities you do.
4- Prove yourself to them:
One way to make your strict parents softer and more open-minded is by being a good, smart and compassionate son or daughter. It is important that you show them that you are a good person that likes to do good and not hurt others. Show them that you’re someone who can be trusted to do what’s right on their own, not just someone who does what they are told.
You can also show them how smart, independent and kind you are as a person, regardless of whether you’re their child or not. This will allow them to trust you more and be more willing to listen to your opinions and perspective.
5- Explain kindly that you change and grow:
Many parents have a hard time accepting the fact that their kids have changed. They are not the same kids they used to be and they don’t want their children to grow up too fast.
But, try to help them through this and kindly explain that it is their responsibility to let their children grow and explore new things in life.
More ways to soften your parents:
1. You can talk about your feelings with them, even if it makes them uncomfortable. Talking about your feelings will help them understand where you are coming from and make it easier for them to relate to you.
2. You can show them that you have a life outside of the house and that you’re your own person outside of being their child, by going on fun adventures with friends or traveling alone, or by having a part-time job or volunteer work outside the home.
3. You can start cooking for yourself instead of relying on them for food.
4. Be respectful and polite when discussing your decisions with them.
5. Do not overshare personal information with them in an attempt to gain their approval. It could end-up in fights.
6. It is important to talk to your parents about your expectations, life goals and aspirations to keep them in the loop about your life.
7. Don’t fight back. It may be tempting to argue back when they say something mean or hurtful, but it will only make the situation worse. If they say something mean or hurtful then just let it go.
It is human nature to be a little bit hard on ourselves. We tend to think that our parents are not understanding and not supportive of us. However, it is important to realise that parents may just be strict with us because they care about us and they’re overprotective.
It’s important to have a good relationship with your parents. It’s also important to respect their opinions, even if you don’t agree with them. When it comes to raising children, parents are often too strict and set in their ways. They want the best for their kids, but sometimes they don’t know how to do that without being overbearing.